Implementing the Star
Making sure that the Outcomes Star works for you
How well the Star is implemented can have a big impact on how effective the Star can be for service users, keyworkers, managers, commissioners and others.
Used well, the Star can deliver a number of vital benefits:
- More engaged service users who are empowered to reflect on their own journeys and goals for the future
- Better, more outcomes-focused keywork delivered through a consistent framework across frontline teams
- Better communication between keyworkers, teams and other agencies about service users and their lives
- Meaningful and interesting outcomes information for management and external reporting
More information on the benefits of the Outcomes Star can be found in the About the Star section.
In order to realise these benefits, it is important that the introduction of the Star into a service is managed and thought-through as a change process in its own right. The unique nature of the Star means that unlike a typical outcomes measure, using the Star often has far-reaching implications within a service or organisation – triggering changes to the way you support service users, handle paperwork, record service user data and supervise staff.
Managing these changes through an implementation plan is often the key to success with the Star.
Getting started with implementation
In general, Triangle have learnt that there are four key areas to be aware of when thinking about implementing the Star:
- Educating and engaging all stakeholders with the empowering values and the ͚Journey of Change͛ approach of the Outcomes Star
- Creating or building on a foundation of keywork skills and a person-centric service culture
- Organising the right Star versions, the right licences and the right training to suit the needs of your organisation
- Integrating the Star effectively into your service user paperwork and processes, and alongside or as part of any IT or software you use for service user information
When your service becomes a licensed Star user, someone from the Triangle team will become your lead point of contact, and will provide you with tools and support to guide you through these key areas and help you use the Star well.
New implementation tools – free for licensed Star users
The first of our new free tools to support effective Star implementation is now available. The Implementation Tracker is a Star-like tool, to help services assess their use of the Outcomes Star and to identify areas already working well, and those that need improving. Designed to be used once a service is up and running with the Outcomes Star, it’s been created with input from practitioners, managers and licensed Star trainers, and is available free of charge to licensed Star users.
It will soon be available to download from the Star Online’s portal – but in the meantime please contact us if you would like to receive a copy.
You can also download a preview copy here or in the resources section opposite.